Understanding comes through, among other things, conversation. As I’ve said elsewhere, I believe truth always profits from its collision with falsehood. Nonetheless, I won’t play host to verbal combat. So, following is my comments policy. By posting on my blog, you agree to the following:
- You may comment using a pseudonym, but I don’t recommend it. If you’re not willing to own up to your comment publicly, you might do well to consider why you’re airing it in the first place. WordPress requires you to enter an email address, but I don’t keep it or use it. I may change this guideline if it is abused.
- You may disagree with me. Or anyone else on here, for that matter. I welcome debate. However, I expect you to communicate respectfully. I also challenge you to give a reasoned explanation for your disagreement. This is not a requirement, however if you cannot give a reasoned explanation, you would do well to consider why you really disagree in the first place.
- I reserve the right to delete your comments. This is my blog. I’m not obligated to publish your words. The First Amendment gives you the right to express your opinions on your own time and space, but not mine.
- To be specific, I may delete any comment that is, in my judgment, (a) snarky; (b) off-topic; (c) spam or any attempt to advertise, solicit, or otherwise promote goods and services, or (d) ad hominem, libelous, defamatory, abusive, harassing, threatening, profane, pornographic, offensive, false, misleading, or which otherwise violates, or encourages others to violate, my standard of civility and respectfulness in a public place; .
- Posting a link to another site or online article is fine, but please give at least a brief explanation of why you’re doing so. What does the linked article add to this particular discussion? Comments consisting of random links or pasted in articles may be deleted.
- Flagrant violations will result in commenters being banned.
- You retain ownership of your comments. I do not own them and I expressly disclaim any and all liability that may result from them. By commenting on my site, you agree that you retain all ownership rights in what you post here and that you will relieve me from any and all liability that may result from those postings.
- You grant me a license to post your comments. This license is worldwide, irrevocable, non-exclusive, and royalty-free. You grant me the right to store, use, transmit, display, publish, reproduce, and distribute your comments in any format, including but not limited to online, in print, in a video, classroom, or presentation.
In short, my goal is to host illuminating conversations with honest and respectful people. I believe honest and respectful people can understand the need for and abide by these basic guidelines.