Statement of Faith
The postmodern world needs Christians who are prepared to give the reasons for the hope that is within us. My goal is that this be a place where people can wrestle with hard things, learn from each other, and find satisfactory answers to the big questions of human existence in our time.
Faith, in its simplest form, simply means belief. Here’s a summary of what I believe and the perspective from which I approach every subject.
Statement of Faith:
There is only one true God. He is the omnipotent, self-existing Creator of everything.
He has revealed himself as a Triune God, existing eternally in three distinct persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
Jesus Christ is the only-begotten Son of God, fully God and fully man, yet one person. He is Theanthropos, the God-man. He became incarnate by the power of the Holy Spirit, was born of the virgin Mary, lived a sinless life, was crucified, died, and was buried. He is the atoning sacrifice for sin prefigured in the Old Testament sacrificial system. On the third day he rose, bodily, in accordance with the Scriptures.
Forty days later, he ascended into heaven and is now seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end.
There is no other name by which we may be saved.
The Holy Spirit is Lord and giver of life. He is the third person of the Trinity.
There will be a resurrection of the dead, some to eternal salvation, some to eternal separation. The determinative factor for salvation is one’s response to Jesus Christ, the lamb of God sacrificed for the sins of the world.
The Scriptures are inspired by the Holy Spirit, and are trustworthy historically and doctrinally.
The Christian worldview entails and encourages a holy, authentic, “inside-out” renewal of individuals, whole societies, and outward to the entire created order. It also entails the biblical convictions that:
- All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
- All are justified freely by God’s grace through the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ, in keeping with the words of the prophet Joel, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be Saved.”
- Submission to Jesus Christ as Lord is integral to Christian discipleship.
- Marriage is a lifelong covenant between one man and one woman, and is the God-ordained context for sex.
- All human beings are created in the image of God and therefore possess, from conception, an innate, natural, immutable right to life.
- Christian believers are called to participate in the God-directed, transcendent restoration of all things. Non-believers are called to consider and believe … and then join the Great Restorative Effort. It is the best salvation offer going.
PS: I adopted this Statement if Faith from the Christian Apologetics Alliance, where I’m a contributing author and editor. I recommend the CAA for a variety of ongoing , reasoned, researched material on the Christian faith and contemporary culture.